Bernard Molitor (1755-1833, Master in 1787) – Set of six armchairs and six chairs
Bought in Paris at the beginning of the Consulate by count Nicolas-Antoine-Xavier de Castella de Berlens, future general of the Empire, to furnish his Parisian hotel particulier; transferred to his chateau de Wallenried in Switzerland; inherited by the Castella family in Wallenried; private European collection.
This set of twelve mahogany chairs and armchairs is characteristic of the end of the Directoire (1795-1799) and the beginning of the Consulate period (1799-1804). The tapering baluster shaped front legs topped with a gadrooned crown are ending in carved paws. The back legs are splayed. Each foot is surmounted with a stylized rosette within a square inset.